One you have your Google Webmaster Tools all setup it’s time to create an XML Sitemap for your blog.
Google uses the XML sitemap to crawl and index the content on your blog. Because the Google Bots are not human they prefer to spider through the XML markup language.
There are a few ways in which you can accomplish this. I have found using either the sitemap functionality built into the Yoast WordPress SEO plugin or using the free XML Sitemap generator tool both work great.
Yoast WordPress SEO Sitemap steps:
- Go to the Yoast SEO plugin dashboard.
- Click on theXML Sitemaps tab.
- Check the first box that says “check this box to enable XML sitemap functionality”.
- Save settings.
XML – Sitemap Generator Steps:
- Go to XML Sitemaps and enter in your domain name (note: be sure to enter the www or non- www version – whichever you set in Webmaster Tools to be your preferred domain).
- Wait for your xml sitemap to be generated.
- Once ready, download the file.
- Then, via FTP using FileZilla or another free FTP client – upload the file to the root of your domain.
- Go back to your Webmaster Tools account.
- Click on settings, sitemaps, and simply add the url to your new sitemap which will be just sitemap.xml.