I took The Blog Launch to a trade show for the very first time and thought it would be interesting to tell you more about the experience.
It all started by me searching Google for someone else who has already done this and perhaps blogged about it. I had so many questions that I was frantically searching for answers to.
My intention was to find any tips that I could possibly get as to how to prepare a trade show booth for a blog. Or even simple, inexpensive ways to decorate your trade show booth on a tight budget. After several searches nothing relevant came up. Most of the search results presented websites that sell promotional products like keychains, pens, and mouse pads. So, I had to put my creative hat on and figure this out on my own.
My budget for the event was only $300.00 and that included the cost of the table rental which was $50.00. So, I was left with only $200.00 to get all the supplies I needed and I didn’t even have any business cards yet! So here is exactly what I did:
Business Cards & T-Shirt
- First, I went to VistaPrint.com to get some free business cards. Well, they started out free anyways… I uploaded three graphics, two for the front and one for the back, choose a semi-gloss finish and upgraded the order from 500 to 1000 cards. I added in a T-shirt with the logo on the front and extra image on the back. Then, I had to get rush shipping as well to ensure I received the order within 3 business days. So, altogether it came to $160.00.
- By this time I already had spent $210.00 but the good news is that the business cards will last a while and I will have the T-Shirt. Now, it was time to dress up the 6 foot long table. So I headed over to the local thrift shop and scored a $3.99 Queen sized bed sheet with a really nice lace trim which I used for a table cover (worked like a charm).
- Then, I had it in my head that I needed some sort of poster or banner to display the logo on. After looking through several professional options I realized that it was really going to be too expensive this time around and that I would clearly be going over budget. So, I had a vision of making my own… It would be like a table runner with the logo on it hanging down the front middle of the table… I headed over to the local fabric store and got 1 meter of white 100% cotton fabric $2.00. I ripped it down the middle to narrow it down a bit. I already had some Avery iron on printable sheets handy so I printed the logo as large as I could then ironed it onto the end of the white fabric strip – bonus! It looked awesome and was only $2.00!!! Loved it.
- What type of prize could I give away that somewhat resembled blogging? Usually, companies will have you sign up to win a large giveaway prize like an ipad. But I had two dilemmas. First, I could not afford very much. Second, I really didn’t want to arrange to deliver a prize to someone when clearly it was not going to of much monetary value. I love blogging and I love journals so there it was I would give out journals. I trekked all across town looking for the most value for my money, and of course the nicest possible journals I could find. I found several different styles and ended up purchasing 10 journals for $2.00 each at Winners. I also just had to fancy them a up a bit. I bought ribbon and pens at the local dollar store. Then, I already had some glossy business card stock so I found ten different blogging quotes and printed them on these cards. I then took The Blog Launch business card and an inspirational blogging quote card and put one hole punch in the corner, feed this through the ribbon. I wrapped this around one of the journals, tied it once, put the pen through the knot and then knotted it again. These turned out to put really sweet little giveaways!! And, at less than $3o.00 for 10!
- Now, it was time to wrap things up and grab the smaller odds and ends. I got two small boxes of Quality Street candy for $6.00 each and stopped at the local grocery store on the way and picked up a nice potted plant that had several types of plants mixed together for $20.00.
In this post, I would love to gather up ideas on how to present your blog at a trade show. How would you present your blog at a trade show?