Why should I examine the Google data for my blog?
The effort and brain time you spend blogging is precious. Therefore, it makes sense for you to also spend a little time to ensure that Google is able to effectively crawl and index your blog. Right?
How do I get Google Webmaster Tools for my blog anyway?
It’s pretty simple! All you have to do is sign up for a Google Webmaster tools account (if you don’t have one already).
- First, create a Google account. Remember, all Google products/services can be accessed through one Google account.
- Next, Install the Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin on your blog. Once installed, go to the dashboard.
- Now, in a new tab on your browser go to https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools.
- Finally, you will verify your domain in Google Webmaster Tools by using the Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin.
Here’s how to verify your domain in Webmaster Tools by using the Yoast WordPress SEO plugin:
- Go to the Yoast SEO Dashboard in your admin panel.
- Scroll down to the Webmaster Tools section.
- Go back to Webmaster Tools, and click on the red Add Site button.
- Enter the full URL of your blog, then click continue.
- Click the tab that says alternate methods and choose HTML tag.
- Copy the verify meta value. You will see something that looks like this: <meta name=”google-site-verification” content=”t_3SSfn4CQB-LElGYuEVmtXza6FZfiFVQTCtMMeTGx0” /. You will only copy the part that I have italicized: t_3SSfn4CQB-LElGYuEVmtXza6FZfiFVQTCtMMeTGx0.
- Now, switch back to your blog where you have the Yoast WordPress SEO and paste the verify meta value from the Webmaster Tools account into the text box beside Google Webmaster Tools and save.
- Last, go back to Google Webmaster Tools and click verify. You should see a message in green at the top that says success.
Tip: Read more on Google – adding a site to Webmaster Tools.
Update: July 12th, 2012 Google Webmaster Tools rolled out Crawl Error Alets!